Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The New Year

Happy New Year, everyone!
I love this time of year because I love new beginnings. I get real excited periodically throughout the year, looking to reinvent myself and expecting change, so New Years just makes it more official for me haha. I know some people don't like the idea of resolutions, but I am not one of them-I like lists and I like feeling inspired and I always want to be better (at everything).
I've really enjoyed reading through all the 2013 retrospectives that have been posted this week, but I'm going to save my favorite outfits for my blogiversary in February. Instead I just wanted to reflect on the past and the future, for me mostly, but you're welcome to read along.

Looking back on an entire year is kind of mind boggling for me. It's hard to pick out the major life events from the huge mess. Thank god I have a blog to document it all, am I right? Here are some things that happened in rough chronological order:

-I opened my Etsy store, and I'm so proud of myself for how successful it's been! There were a few slow months that got me kind of down, but I really have high hopes for it this year. Thanks to everyone who's made a purchase!
-I decided not to work retail over the summer, which was a really good decision for me, since working at the mall was a huge source of my anxiety.
-I celebrated by 1st blogiversary, and my 2nd anniversary dating Travis.
-One of my pieces was published in my school's art and literature magazine, and iconnoumag published some of my art.
-I dyed my hair bright red. It's weird looking at pictures of me with brown hair now, I feel like I'm really a red head at heart :)
-I got to visit the Grand Canyon! Seriously breathtaking, I'm so glad my family got to go.
-I got an internship doing graphic design at my Mom's work! Although I'm not sure office work is my calling, it was a really great experience, and I'm so lucky that I can put it on my resume.
-I turned 21 and started drinking (seriously I never drank before).
-I went on a road trip to Boston for a Science Fiction Convention.
-I became friends with my boyfriend's friends.
-I had a beach day.
-I bleached my hair! How's that for courage?
-Then I went back to a bob and dyed it pink. The year of hair experimentation for sure.
-I hung my first gallery show.
-My art changed a lot, and my focus shifted from more naturey scenes to girl-power portraits. I still really love the children's booky work I did in 2012, and I'd like to find a way to combine it with this new feminist stuff I'm doing. Side note: I've been told I look like my paintings before, but dang, this one is practically a self portrait at this point! And I did it back in June!
-I actually made some money and was the most self-sufficient I've ever been.

I may or may not have used facebook's year in review to aid in recollection for this... I swear some of the things they picked for me (A throwback of my from middle school, holla)!

Don't get me wrong, it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows. I also struggled a lot with anxiety and a little with depression. I had relationship troubles and I was insecure sometimes. But I think it was more good than bad, and that's important.

2014 promises to be a big year, huge even. I'm going to finish my senior thesis project, and graduate in May. Then I'm going to Italy for a month with Travis, and I'll be moving out towards the end of the summer. I don't even know where we're going yet, as it depends on what grad schools offer Travis the most money! I'll have to get a job and support myself in a new city. I'm going to have to say goodbye to my college friends and see my family a lot less often. I'm scared and excited. As far as resolutions go, I plan to:
1. Keep up my work outs.
2. Be more positive. Complain less.
3. Relationships take work. I'm going to think before I speak and be more patient with the people I love.
4. Make more art!
5. Be strong and work hard. A lot of change is coming my way.

Here's to the New Year!

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Rachel! You have accomplished some seriously incredible things in 2013 - you are wonderful! I'm sorry the year was marred with your struggles, but please remember we are rooting for you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your art! It reminds me of what I like to draw, too! :)

    love, polly
    pollybland.com

    ReplyDelete