I thought I'd do a little hair dye review for those of you considering dying your hair!
I used Manic Panic's Electric Lava on my hair that was already dyed auburn using some boxed dye I got from Walmart. This was basically my first foray into hair dye, so I'm no expert, but I thought I'd tell you what I did and how it worked for me. Because when I was thinking of doing it, these are the kindof tips I was looking for!
1. Dye your hair with a permanent dye first. Manic Panic didn't show up very well on my un-dyed roots, and the color underneath will start to show through the fade out.
2. Leave your Manic Panic in for a long time. It won't hurt your hair. I kept mine in for like 4-5 hours, in a shower cap.
3. It will stain your scalp. I don't know how to get around this, but it should come off within 1-3 washes.
4. Wash your hair in cool water. I put mine in a shower cap while I soaped up and stuff, so I could still enjoy a warm shower, then washed it in cool water at the end. I also showered about every other day!
5. The dye is going to come out every time you wash. Like, my water was orange for a month. This made me worried, but it didn't seem to fade too badly.
6. Manic Panic's Electric Lava, for me, lasted a long time! It was a lot less vibrant for me towards the end, but it was still definitely there. I kept it two months before I re-did it, since my roots were starting to show.
Here's some photos of the fade-out:
This is what it looked like before I dyed it, with the auburn permanent dye in.
Here it is the day after I dyed it.
Most of these photos are in the sunlight, so keep in mind that it wasn't as bright indoors. Overall I was really impressed with this color, and I'm going to buy it again and mix in some Electric Banana for a more orangey red!